Sunday, March 16, 2008

PROGRAM

I have not been able to post for awhile, since I am preparing for my finals. However, I have been working on learning how to program music, mainly through my own self-education of reading books and blogs (example; richard sparks) on the topic of choral music programming.



I have decided to share my first program I have ever written (but will not perform), it is only for learning how to program the music. I have score studied these pieces and based theme all on the theme of "Centuries of Sacred Choral Music". I hope to receive your thoughts and opinions about my program. I will use them as a learning.



Centuries of Sacred Choral Music



Adoramus Te - Palestrina, Ed. Leavitt - (16th century)

Hear my prayer, O Lord - Henry Purcell -(16th century)


Cantate Domino - Claudio Monteverdi - (17th century)

Ich bin eine rufende Stimme - Heinrich Schutz (17th century)


O Jesu Christ, Mein Lebens Licht - J.S. Bach - (18th century)


Locus Iste - Anton Bruckner - (19th century)

Ochte Nash - Antony Arensky - (19th century)


Notre Pere - Maurice Durufle - (20th century)

Alleluia - Terry Schlenker - (20th century)




Overall the program would run about an hour. Features German, latin, French, English, and Old Slavic languages. Some pieces are acapella and two are accompanied by the organ. The biggest piece would be the one by Bach, and the shortest piece would Notre Pere by Durufle. Hope to hear your comments. I also hope I can perform this program sometime in the next year or so, because I really like these pieces, especially since I have studied them.










3 comments:

Annie's Mom said...

Looks like a lovely program! Tell me, would you plan on performing them in chronological order, or would you play with the order in interesting ways that might change the shape of the concert itself?

Alan D said...

Well I think chronological order would be good, but I would have to say I would change up the order to make it more interesting.

I think that these days there are alot of programs that are done in chronological order, and I always go to those and say "well this piece would go great here too". So I think that more conductors could be even more creative with their programming.


P.S. I collect every choral program I attend. I have hundreds in binders.


Thanks for you comment.

liz garnett said...

Hi Alan,
Chronological order is always safe, because that's what most people do, and there's always a clear rationale for the audience to follow.
However, 'safe' isn't always the same as 'most artistically satisfying'! In particular, I think that the placement of the biggest (and/or most emotionally demanding) piece is the key decision, with the rest working up to it and then creating the transition back to real life.

liz

p.s. I note this post is from some time ago - I hope your finals went well!